No one ever plans on being in a car accident. But do you know what to do if you are? Some people aren’t sure whether they need an attorney or not. But the steps that you take immediately following an accident could be the difference between you receiving compensation or not. As a general recommendation, you should consult with an attorney any time an accident results in serious injuries that require doctor visits. If you were not at fault for the accident, you could have entitlement to compensation. Calhan personal injury lawyers like Doug Allen can help you from the moment that you have been in an accident until the time your case has ceased.
What kinds of accidents do we help with?
Personal injuries fall into many different categories. While most personal injuries are auto related, they can also be boat, bicycle, or pedestrian related. Here are some other, less common person injuries that we also tend to:
- Slip and fall accidents – We’ve all had an embarrassing slip and fall moment in our life. Some of us get off lucky. But when we hit the ground hard, it can result in severe injury. And if it occurs on someone else’s property, you could hold them liable.
- Medical malpractice – Medical malpractice occurs when someone obtains serious permanent injury or damage due to neglect or omission by a health care professional. Such cases are often extremely complex, and usually require the extra resources of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
- Dog bites – In law, dog owners are liable and responsible for the actions of their pets. If you have been bitten by someone else’s canine, you can legally hold them responsible for damages.
- Dangerous drugs – Did you know that just because a drug has FDA approval, it doesn’t make it safe? There are hundreds of FDA approved drugs that can still cause serious and harmful side effects. There are also many drugs on the market that aren’t even approved by the FDA. If you have experienced significant health effects associated with any type of medication, Calhan personal injury lawyers like us can get you compensation.
- Wrongful death claims – When someone dies due to another persons negligence, surviving family members have the right to file for wrongful death claims. Spouse, children, grandparents, grandchildren, parents, and even brother and sisters all have the right to file wrongful death claims. In such cases, you can sue the neglectful party to recover the losses that the victim would have file for had they survived.
Other personal injuries we deal with include (but are not limited to):
- Product liability claims
- Airplane accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Boating and water-based accidents
Why contact a personal injury lawyer?
In cases of personal injury, a victim must be able to prove negligence to win a claim. To do this, there are several steps involved. Firstly, you must prove that the defendant had a duty to exercise care for your safety. Secondly, you must also prove that the defendant breached this duty by acting in a negligent or careless manner. Thirdly, you must be able to prove your injuries. And finally, you must prove that their negligence or carelessness was the exact cause of your injuries.
Sounds pretty easy, right? Well, maybe not so much. Collecting all of the information that you need to file a personal injury claim is extremely time consuming. And putting it all together to build a case requires extensive knowledge in law. Trying to do put together a case while you are trying to heal from a new injury can be exhausting. Luckily, this is where Calhan personal injury lawyers can help. Not only can we help to gather all information to prove injuries and negligence, but we can also stand beside you in court when the pressure is on.
What damages might you have entitlement to?
In personal injury cases, damages refer to monetary compensations. There are two basic categories of damages: compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages are usually broken down into general or special damages. These types of damages are available in almost all types of personal injury cases. They refer to compensation that reimburses a person for any harm suffered by the injured party.
Punitive damages are not awarded so easily, and occur in less cases. These types of damages are not to reimburse the victim. Rather, they are to punish the offender for their careless behaviour. Depending on the situation of your case, you may have entitlement to compensatory damages, punitive damages, or both. Doug Allen‘s Calhan personal injury lawyers can help you determine which.
How much money might I receive?
Again, the amount of monetary compensation you receive will vary depending on your situation. Generally speaking, the more serious your injuries, the more compensation you will receive. Victims of personal injury can claim damages for:
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of companionship or consortium.
- Loss of earnings and loss of future earnings.
- Medical bills and future medical care.
- Costs associated with cancelled plans.
- Funeral expenses (in the case of wrongful death).
- Emotional distress.
Note: This is not an extensive list of potential damages. To learn more about damages and monetary compensation, contact us today!
Contact us today!
At Doug Allen’s Calhan personal injury lawyers we can help you from the moment you are in an accident to the moment your case is settled. We can help to answer your questions and help you calculate a fair settlement amount. We can also help you collect information to build your case, and deal with annoying insurance companys that will bombard you throughout the process. With our attorneys at your side, you will never feel alone during your case – we will fight hard for you. So get in touch today!